By: Dr. Ma. Lourdes L. Evangelista
- 1850’s – the Spanish government established Lazareto De Mariveles, where foreign ships with cargoes and passengers were checked before allowed entry into manila bay. Passengers with cholera, typhoid and leprosy were quarantined in this area.
- 1902 – the American regime built the first quarantine station in the Philippines where the Lazareto stood and named Mariveles Quarantine Station.
- 1942 – the Mariveles Quarantine Station was destroyed during the Japanese occupation and the ruins now remains as mute witness to the war.
- 1949 – thru the Philippine Reparation Act, the buildings of the quarantine station were rehabilitated.
- 1955 – the Bureau of Quarantine donated 3.8 hectares of land and buildings to be converted as extension service of the National Mental Hospital and decogest the mother hospital in Mandaluyong. The first batch of patients were transfered along with support staff on July 26,1955 to what was then called National Mental Hospital Extension Service (NMHES).
- 1960 – the extension service was closed due to cost of operation and poor accessibility.
- 1963 – on December 20, 1963 the NMHES was reopened and headed by Dr. Lamberto Yraola until he retired in 1987.
- 1978 – with the regionalization plan of the Ministry of Health, NMHES was separated from the National Mental Hospital and placed under the administration of the Regional Health Office in San Fernando, Pampanga to serve as the mental health facility of Central Luzon.
- 1981 – the hospital’s administration was placed under the Central Luzon General Hospital (now known as Jose B. Lingad Memorial Regional Hospital [JBLMRH]) and renamed Mariveles Mental Ward (MMW) because of its delegation as psychiatric ward.
- 1988 – thru the reintegration program of the Department of Health, MMW was attached to the Bataan Provincial Health Office under the supervision of the chief of hospital Dr. Rolando Banzon.
- 1993 – MMW was devolved with the Integrated Health Office to the province of Bataan by virtue of RA 7160.
- 1996 – renationalization of MMW thru Resolution No. 95-07 of the oversight committee on RA 7160 chaired by DILG secretary Rafael Alunan due to its role as the mental health provider for Central Luzon and surrounding provinces of Pangasinan, La Union, Benguet, and even Metro Manila. It was placed under the supervision of JBLMRH. Renationalization paved the way for the repair and rehabilitation of the hospital facilities.
- 2001 – for ease of administration, the MMW was placed under the chief of hospital of Bataan General Hospital that was also renationalized in 1999.
- 2008 – MMW was renamed Mariveles Mental Hospital while obtaining a license to operate as a custodial care facility and directly supervised by the regional health director.
- 2014 – ISO 9001:2008 certification: the first mental hospital in the country to obtain this certification.
- 2015 – Red Orchid hall of fame: clear indication of its dedication to promote anti-smoking in the workplace and among its workers.
– ISO recertification obtained.
– granted hfep funding for improvement of facilities: new isolation, STP facility, TB dots, building/repair of dietary and dormitories of patients.
- 2016 – HFEP projects: HOPSS building
– ongoing: building/expansion of male ward, renovation of OT area, expansion of out patient unit & admission and crisis intervention unit phase 1, procurement and materials management building
– recognition for contribution to APEC 2015 summit
– most compliant agency, RHO3
– DOH best performance category (PBB), level 1 hospital ISO 2nd surveillance passed.